Fix Windows 8 and Hyper-V Virtual Switch Problems

Wow, that hurts!

One reason I decided to jump onto the Windows 8 bandwagon was that I finally had access to a native VM environment that supports 64 bit operating systems.  Unfortunately, though, I’ve just burnt a couple of hours trying to figure out how to get Hyper-V and Windows 8 to play nicely with one another at a networking level.

My problem presented itself as loss of IP network connectivity which meant my host didn’t have any form of network access.

A quick look around online suggests a few people have had problems as well that sound way, way worse than mine (re-install the host OS, really?!)

The Solution(s)

This may not work for everyone… I’m running a Lenovo T420s that has the out-of-the-box Windows 8 drivers for all its components as Lenovo haven’t moved past beta with their drivers as yet.

Network adapters are: wired: Intel 82579LM Gigabit; wireless: Lenovo 11b/g/n Wireless LAN PCI Express.

I have this approach working for the wired and wireless connections in my machine – the fix is slightly different for each connection type, so here they are.

Wired

1. Create Your virtual switch and change no defaults (apart from the Name if you like).  This is how it looks:

How your wired Virtual Switch should look.

After you apply this your underlying physical connection will cease working.

2. Open up Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections.

You will find that you now have “Ethernet” and “vEthernet (Your Switch Name)” connections.

3. Right click on “Ethernet” and click “Properties”.  Under the Networking Tab select all items in the “This connection uses the following items” and then click “OK”.

Windows will now give you a nice warning about items being disabled (such as IPv4, etc).  Click “Yes” on this dialog.

At this point you will see the “vEthernet” connection suddenly switch to “Identifying…..” and a few moments later you’ll be connected to your network (if you’re on a Windows domain the domain name will show).

Wireless

This process is slightly different as using a Wireless connection creates a Network Bridge as part of the process of setting up a Virtual Switch.

Do the above steps but select your wireless network connection instead this time.

When you are finished you will see two new items in your Network Connections: “vEthernet (Your Wireless Switch Name)” and “Network Bridge”.

Right click on the “Network Bridge” and click “Properties”. Under the Networking Tab select all items in the “This connection uses the following items” and then click “OK”.

As with the Wired connection above you should now see your “vEthernet” (wireless) connection switch to “Identifying…” followed shortly by a working network connection.

That’s it – simple – no reinstalling or driver updates are any other shenaningans.

Enjoy your Windows 8 – x64 Hyper V environment!

BTW – you shouldn’t need to jump through all these hoops to get this working and I’m not sure why these problems happen – I was very close to switching back to VirtualBox but thought I’d have one last go.  I’m hoping a future update from Microsoft will resolve these sorts of problems.

Update

I have had a few issues with Wireless – primarily I think due to roaming between different types of wireless networks – my initial setup was on a Windows domain and when I tried to connect wirelessly on my home network (running via a Cisco home business device) I couldn’t get a connection.  After a few days working on wired I’ve just switched back to wireless and it’s all working well (surprisingly).  So… you’re mileage may vary for wireless setups.  Let me know your experiences and I’m happy to add links to useful blogs or fixes for these sorts of issues.

I find that if wireless isn’t working that you need to disable your Wireless Virtual Switch on Windows 8 and re-enable it and you should find that the connection comes back to life.

Update 2 – Windows 8.1

I’ve been lucky enough to be running a Windows 8.1 Preview build on the same Lenovo I’ve had problems with in the past and it looks (fingers crossed) like the problem may be resolved. I haven’t got the Hyper-V environment exactly the same as my old Windows 8 build just yet but I do have Hyper-V installed. What I noticed, and perhaps this is the root cause of all the evil, is that the MAC address is being changed when I pop another VM up (currently a Windows Phone 8 emulator which uses Hyper-V) and in many environments that can cause a problem. Will keep you posted!

Tagged , , , ,

46 thoughts on “Fix Windows 8 and Hyper-V Virtual Switch Problems

1. Rick says:

I went through above for wireless, and behold it worked!. So I shut down the vm then restarted it. no longer working and has not worked since – I’ve gone and re-gone through above scenario a half dozen times. very frustrating and quite senseless .. what is being accomplished by selecting all these options in the Bridge, just so that the dialog box can tell you that it will not enable the things you’ve selected? this all smacks of voodoo ..

• Simon says:

Rick, very frustrating and fairly common I think (this post is the most visited on my blog in the last year!)

I’ve found that the easiest things to do (and I have to do them at least once a day!) are:

1. Disable / enable the hyper-v virtual wireless ethernet NIC in Windows 8.
      2. Disconnect from the wireless network and reconnect.

These two seems to fix the issue on the host OS which fixes any issue on the guest.

Hopefully there will be a more official fix for this in Windows 8 SP1!

• Cyn says:

Thank you for this blog. I was a PC tech for 6 years but have been out of the business long enough to feel like a babe in the woods these days. I get why the Windows 8 wi-fi hotspot was a fun idea (connectivity from virtually any location), but it’s not practical in that it doesn’t bloody well work. My mother-in-law bought a very nice Toshiba Laptop for my husband on his completion of months of intensive chemotherapy treatments. I am trying to fix his connection and this site has been helpful in answering questions.

With real gratitude. :-)

• Tony says:

Yeah, I found the same problem, Rick (on wifi). Simon’s steps got it all working until a reboot :-(
      I’m using an HP Envy dv7 machine, downloaded latest wifi drivers for it too. Perhaps I’ll try again when a new set are released.
      Thanks for the blog post all the same Simon, fingers crossed for a Microsoft fix soon.
      Tony.

• Simon says:

I find it is all quite temperamental – disabling / reenabling the virtual adapter usually fixes after a couple of tries. Also disconnecting from and rejoining the network seems to help. A really crappy experience and one that a lot of people are having (based on hits on this blog post alone!)

2. Jeremy says:

I had the same problem and tried everything on my Lenovo W520 with the same adaptors. Changing the wired adapter driver from the Lenovo driver to the Microsoft driver built into Windows 8 also seemed to help. Your fix above solved my issue, thank you very much for sharing this.

-Jeremy

3. Ian says:

Just to add some more, after bridging/unbridging my wireless/hyper V connection multiple times trying to get this to work (and doing the above steps) – the one extra thing I had to do was…
    Network Connections->Advanced->Advanced Settings
    The “Network Bridge” is listed first but it had no bindings Enabled. Clicking the checkbox to enable all the binding, and a reboot seemed to get it working for me.

• Ian says:

Looks like my success didn’t last long. I also use Cisco VPN, and found that wouldn’t work with the bridged connection. HAve ended up deleting my bridge and having no internet connection in the virtual machine. Did microsoft do any testing with hyper V and wireless connections?

• Jeff Z. says:

I have been having the same issues with my ThinkPad W520 (Intel wi-fi). Re: the Cisco VPN, although the Cisco client wouldn’t work for me either with the bridged connection the ShrewSoft one did, so I just switched to that. But the larger issue was so annoying that I have resorted to just connecting the ThinkPad via wired ethernet when running virtual machines.

4. I have the same laptop and the some problem as you. I’ve tried your solution, but the problem persist when I restart the laptop.

• Simon says:

Yes, it’s not a 100% fix – I still need to disable/enable the virtual adapter in Windows 8 to fix. I’ve had instances where I’ve turned on the laptop and left
      It unused for a while and the adapter had started working too… Anyway, thanks for your feedback.

5. Jeff Z. says:

Curiously, the problem seems to have disappeared for me (ThinkPad W520 w/Intel wi-fi). It appears to be related to my having recently applied a new firmware update from Apple to my Time Capsule WAP. I had read somewhere that the issue can be wi-fi network-specific; it’s possible that it was in my case. The firmware update also fixed a long-running problem where I could not copy large files between the ThinkPad and the Time Capsule without crashing the latter (requiring a power cycle / restart).

• Jeff Z. says:

Well, that didn’t last long. After a few days where everything worked just swimmingly, the problem returned, apparently after a reboot. I was unable to access the Internet from the host until I deleted the wi-fi virtual switch in Hyper-V.

• Simon says:

I’ve found that DHCP doesn’t work reliably in the VM where it is using the wifi adapter so I’ve taken to manually setting and IP in the VM. Obviously this may not be a workable solution for you!

• Jeff Z. says:

Setting a static IP in the VM would be fine. My problem though is that the host loses connectivity. My host’s wi-fi connection becomes an “unidentified network”. Although I said “unable to access the Internet” in my last comment, IIRC it’s actually “unable to access the LAN”.

Thanks for this thread, BTW. It has been quite helpful, and it’s good to know that I’m far from the only one having trouble with Hyper-V virtual switches with Windows 8.

• Simon says:

A lot of people have this problem – this post is by far the busiest on my blog. The last set of Windows Updates included wifi fixes buy these only appear to have applied to Windows RT.

I have had success by performing a disable / enable the virtual adapter on the host – sometimes it can take a couple of goes to get the adapter to work but at least I don’t need to delete it.

I’ve also had it “just work” after having left the machine on for some time so I suspect it’s a timing issue somewhere deep down in the virtual hardware stack.

6. Clint says:

Just wanted to say thanks. I was pulling my hair out. This fix worked great. Both main workstation and host is working. A++

7. Thank you so much for this article. I ended up using the ‘Wired’ section of your article and it’s working now!!!! Was pulling my hair off as to why the setup was not working.

8. ubersteel says:

Hi Simon…thanks for this article. Was pulling my hair out disabling and re-enabling the adapters and wondering why nothing was working – I then saw the suggestion you made in reply to someone’s comment about disconnecting from the WiFi SSID and reconnecting – this is what finally got it working again for me! Might be worthwhile adding that as another update to the main article as disabling and re-enabling did nothing for me, but disconnecting and reconnecting did!

Previously I’d had to delete the whole virtual switch and recreate it…never thought of something as simple as toggling the actual SSID connection!

• Simon says:

Glad I could help. I’m hoping we will see a permanent fix for all of this in a hotfix or SP. Apparently MS are aware and are working on a fix – time will tell though!

9. ubersteel says:

Reblogged this on ashley.geek.nz and commented:
    Having problems with connectivity dropping out when moving between Wireless networks in Windows 8 Hyper-V? Disabling and enabling the virtual switch adapter might fix it for you – or even more simply…disconnect and reconnect from your WiFi SSID.

I’m not a fan of the advice in this article to tick against the Network Bridge…that seems like bad news enabling protocols that shouldn’t be there… but the simplest fix does seem to work, so I thought I would credit him by reblogging.

10. ubersteel says:

Reblogged this on ashley.geek.nz and commented:

I’m not a fan of the advice in this article to tick everything against the Network Bridge…that seems like bad news enabling protocols that shouldn’t be there… but the simplest fix does seem to work, so I thought I would credit him by reblogging.

11. […] Fix Windows 8 and Hyper-V Virtual Switch Problems | siliconvalve. […]

12. Alexandre Botelho says:

I found a different solution that works!
    Tried your solution, didn´t worked. So, after all, I did this:
    1. Go to “Networking Sharing Center”
    2. Go to “Change Adapter Settings”
    3. Right click “vEthernet (Internet Virtual Switch)” and click “Properties”
    4. Select the “Sharing” tab.
    5. Select both checkboxes under “Internet Connection Sharing”.
    6. Hit Ok!
    Voilá, all works, both host and guest internet.
    Please try and tell me if it works for you too.

13. Bob Scarborough says:

This is very frustrating.

I setup Hyper-v and created an external virtual switch so my VMs can access the internet. Later find that NetSetMan (a handy Network configuration switching app) no longer works. The Hyper-V virtual switch has taken over the reference to my host adapter settings so that network apps that reference my native adapter no longer work.

I suppose there is some documentation somewhere that explains this but why does Microsoft have to make this so damn illogical. There’s no good reason for this. VMWare Workstation just works – without screwing up your native networking. Virtual Box just works. Apple OSX just works. Hyper-v on Windows 8 may well work, but with no native audio, no USB no Video Acceleration, and unexpected, illogical, annoying side effects like this.

No wonder Microsoft is losing market share. They’ve just lost their mojo when it comes to writing software. I can’t understand how Ballmer keeps his job. Time to fire him and bring in someone who can get some quality back into their products.

14. mark says:

Simon, thanks for your comprehensive post. If only I would have found this earlier, then I may have saved myself from having to use the Windows 8 repair option.

I upgraded a T410 from Windows 7 to Windows 8 almost immediately after Windows 8 was released. Having experience with Virtualbox, Microsoft Virtual PC, Windows XP Mode, VMWare Player, VMWare ESX server, and VMWare fusion, but not hyper-v, I thought I would give it a go and uninstall virtualbox, and get my ubuntu on hyper-v.

Initially it was working, but I had sporadic internet connectivity issues in my ubuntu guest. Having lost the internet connection on the host as well, I ended up uninstalling hyper-v again, and install virtualbox. But somewhere in the process that left me with a Intel centrino wireless connection that could no longer see any wireless network. No matter what I tried, I could not get the wireless adapter working again. Eventually I chose the windows repair option where all data is retained, but programs need to be installed again, and that got my wireless working again.

Following that experience, I chose to skip hyper-v for the time being. Installing the Windows Phone SDK however brought back hyper-v, and the internet connectivity issues. Reading your article at least got me through the first hirdles. Thanks for that!

I’ll give hyper-v a second go, but leave virtualbox this time for sure!

Cheers,
    Mark

15. Mark says:

Initially I had the issue that after the laptop went to sleep, and woke up again, the network connection was lost and I needed to disable and enable the vEthernet virtual switch for my wireless adapter. Disabling the virtualbox Bridged networking driver resolved that issue. Now it was only after restart of the laptop that there was no network connection until disable/enable.

I created a small powershell script that is executed through the task scheduler when a user logs on, that disables and enables the network card in question, that also further resolved this issue.

the “enable_disable_vEthernet.ps file:

Disable-Netadapter -Name “vEthernet (Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6200 AGN Virtual Switch)” -Confirm:$false
    Enable-Netadapter -Name “vEthernet (Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6200 AGN Virtual Switch)” -Confirm:$false

when configuring the task in task scheduler, use ‘C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe’ as the application and ‘-executionPolicy bypass -File “D:\Users\Mark\Documents\NetAdapter_powershell.ps1″‘ as the parameter. Make sure to tick the box “run with highest priviliges” and that the user that executes the task is a member of the administrators group.

• Kine says:

That’s what I needed… automatic recovery… in this way, when my desktop in office restart, I am able to connect to it remotely. I just set the job to run after restart of the machine, with 1 minute delay.

16. bentaylr says:

Boom! It is working, thanks so much saved me a lot of hurt :)

17. Keith says:

Haven’t been able to get the networking working at all using a wireless connection on Win8. As soon as I let it install the bridge my internet connection stops working, even though it says it’s connected!

After many hours of frustration I gave up on hyper-v (the v is for very annoying) and used Oracle’s VirtualBox which gave me an internet connection through the host wireless straight away with no messing around and nothing extra to setup – it just worked.

18. Jan says:

You, sir, deserve a medal! Thank you very much. I’ve been trying to make it work for like 2 hours without success and thanks to you it’s now working.

19. Paul Martin says:

I had a similar issue – with a wired connection I was unable to get a network connection on my host machine – I looked online a little and found that it was that the machines were both trying to use the same MAC address. I increased the range of the MAC addresses and that solved it for me

20. Mike says:

This really helped me, thanks for the post!

21. Weng says:

I had a slightly different manifestation of the problems. I purchased Windows 8 Pro using a 64 bit setup. I want to install Win XP 32 bit as a virtual machine on Hyper-V. I had no problem setting up the virtual machine in the Manager but when I try to install XP this is what happensed: after I inserted the XP installation disk and hit the Connect command. The Virtual Machine desktop say “Connecting to XP Virtual Machine” (my virtual machine name) and just stuck there without showing the XP installation screen. Although in the Hyper-V Manager screen tells me that the virtual machine is running and a small thumbnail like image at the bottom of the Hyper-V Manager seems to show the XP installation screen. I have tried switching to “internal” and the problem still persists. But I do not have the reported symptom of lost of internet connection reported. Any suggestion as to what to try next will be greatly appreciated.

22. Jim G says:

I finally went to Virtual Box. I turned of the hyper V settings, restarted my machine and haven’t had a problem since with Virtual Box. Hyper V should be called Hyper Crap.

23. I have a Lenovo ThinkPad Twist with Broadcom WiFi and the problem still persists, your solution worked, though.

24. derekgusoff says:

For two days I struggled with this, and your bit about the checkboxes under Network Bridge Properties was the missing piece that made everything work. Thanks for sharing this!!!

25. […] a guy in Australia named Simon Waight had the solution, and I’m posting it here for the next time I forget this important little […]

26. Sikander says:

I tried everything, checking all the boxes and disabling/enabling the adapter. Under host OS Ethernet says -Enabled and vEthernet says-Network! and host OS has internet.
    however, Hyper-V still says Unidentified Network and doesn’t have the internet all!
    Where am I missing? :( Kindly help- anyone?

• Simon says:

Sikander, if you can I would recommend upgrading to Windows 8.1 – it’s free for Windows 8 users. I have had no issues to date with it.

27. Mele says:

There’s a Microsoft patch from Dec 10 that caused this problem for me on a wired network. I download the patches from Microsoft download center and install a few at a time and reboot each time (do not use Windows Updates). I could see in Event Viewer that it was after one of the reboots to finish installing a few patches that this problem began for me. I didn’t notice it though until four days later (Friday) as I don’t use the virtual machine that I installed last August using HyperV.

Your fix did not work for me. Nothing I tried worked. I finally had to uninstall HyperV to get my network card to work properly again.

I have 8.0 Pro and, I like others here, bought Pro version mostly to get HyperV. I did not like HyperV before I had this problem and I really want nothing to do with it now. I will install the older version of VMWare Workstation that I own and upgrade it when I can afford it. Or I will use Virtualbox. But I used VMWare Workstation for many years on my XP Pro machine and once you have had it nothing else begins to compare.

I have 8.0 and am seriously considering never upgrading to 8.1. I don’t trust Microsoft to not completely kill Start8, etc in 8.1. Plus, I have read worse things about 8.1 than 8.0.

• Simon says:

Mele – I would strongly recommend you look to update to Windows 8.1 as I have had no issues with it to date and my Hyper-V setup works flawessly.

28. antgiant says:

I’m on 8.1 and was having the Wired Connection issue described. For me the issue turned out to be the Network Card driver had Priority and VLAN disabled. Once I enabled that I was suddenly able to pull an IP.